Call us on 01273 433 480
Mon to Fri 8am-6pm | Sat 9am-5pm
TrustPilot Independent Review Website The UK's #1 Car Leasing Company

Tips When Driving Abroad

Tips When Driving Abroad

With the stress and worry of Christmas and January blues almost in the distance, you might be thinking of a well earned holiday. Well if you’re thinking of going abroad by car we at Rivervale Car Leasing have a few tips for you to think over before you setting off on your travels.


Be prepared when driving abroad!

Always carry safety kits, blanket during winter and a charged mobile phone with foreign emergency service numbers just in case of an emergency.


What to take when going abroad...

The regulations of what you need to carry on your person can differ from the UK depending on the country you’re travelling too. One example is your proof of vehicle ownership (V5 log book). In many European countries you could be subject to a fine if you do not have this with you when travelling through their country, yet in the UK, you’re advised not to have this in your car.

So here’s a list of documents to carry with you;

  • vehicle registration document (V5c) – the original not a copy
  • valid full (not provisional) driving licence
  • driving licence paper counterpart – if you have a photocard licence
  • an International Driving Permit (if necessary)
  • motor insurance certificate (making sure that you are covered to drive abroad by your insurance company)
  • passport(s)
  • your travel insurance documents


Before you set off...

Make sure you research up on the driving laws in which you are going to be driving in, and driving through. Speed limits differ as well as and other driving regulations like, winter tyres and mandatory in some countries, e.g. Germany.

You should be aware that provisional licences are a national document issued within the framework of driver training. They do not entitle the holder to drive outside the territory of the issuing member state.

If your car displays the GB symbol on the licence plate then this should be acceptable with most laws in EU countries but in some EU countries, and especially outside EU countries, you need to have on show a GB Sticker. To be safe than sorry we suggest purchasing a GB symbol and displaying on your car. A one off £5 sticker is better than a on the spot fine.

Most importantly get your car check over before you go. This way it will reduce the risk of breaking down abroad.


These are just a few tips on what you need to consider if you planning on driving abroad. If you are going abroad this year make sure you do all the necessary research and checks to make sure your safe.

The comments above do not necessarily reflect Rivervale's views unless clearly stated.

Car related news
27 January 2014
Written by Rivervale
Back to car leasing blogNext post Previous post

Latest car Leasing Deals


Ford FOCUS Arrow

Focus Hatchback
1.0 EcoBoost 125 ST-Line Navigation 5dr

Personal lease
per month inc VAT

Business lease
per month + VAT

  • In Stock
BMW X4 Arrow

X4 Diesel Estate
xDrive20d M Sport 5dr Step Auto

Personal lease
per month inc VAT

Business lease
per month + VAT

More Car Leasing Deals

Rivervale Partners

Arval logo Key associate of Lex Autolease - the UK's leading Fleet Management & Fleet Funding Specialist Alphabet leasing logo BVLRA logo - the trade body for the leasing sector Brighton and Hove FC logo Network Leaseplan logo Sussex Cricket Logo
How can we help you?

Have a question? Speak to one of our experts.


Challenge us to match or beat any other car leasing deal.


Get the latest deals straight to your inbox.