Rivervale's Guide to the Ford Ranger
The popularity of pick-up trucks in the UK is rising. The interior and handling of the pick-up truck has become more car like, creating a multi-purpose vehicle that can be used comfortably for both work life and family life.
Rivervale's top pick of the pick-ups is the Ford Ranger Wildtrak ... with a few added extras!
If this isn't the Ranger for you, then read on, this flexible pick-up can be tailored to suit your needs ...
Body styles Available
Your choice here will depend upon how many seats you would like to have. There are 3 options;
- Regular cab - 2 seats
- Super cab - 2 front seats and 2 rear seats
- Double cab - 2 front seats and 3 rear seats
The double cab makes the interior layout of the cabin area like any other 5 seater car. This is the perfect arrangement for those who would be using their Ranger as a family vehicle outside of working hours.
Trim Levels for the Ford Ranger
There are 4 different trim levels to choose from. The entry level XL all the way up to the top of the range Wildtrak. Examples of standard features at each trim level and the body style available can be seen in the table below;
|XL||XLT, in addition to XL||Limited, in addition to XLT||Wildtrak, in addition to Limited|
|Features||16" steel wheels||16" alloy wheels||17" alloy wheels||18" machined alloy wheels|
|Ford DAB Radio||DAB radio||Ford SYNC 3 including Apple CarPlay and Android Auto on an 8" touchscreen||Titanium effect painted front grille|
|Bluetooth||4.2" TFT screen||8-way electrically adjustable drivers seat (double cab)||Rear view camera|
|USB & AUX inputs||Bluetooth and USB with connectivity SYNC with Voice COntrol, Applink and emergency assistance||Dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control|
|Leather trimmed steering wheel with remote audio controls||Rear parking distance sensors|
|Cruise control||Leather seat trim|
|Manual air conditioning||Heated front seats (double cab)|
|Rear privacy glass|
|Body styles available||Regular cab 4x2||Super cab 4x4||Super cab 4x4||Double cab 4x4|
|Single cab 4x4||Double cab 4x4||Double cab 4x4|
|Double cab 4x4|
There are 3 choices of engine, all are diesel, but not all engines are available with all trim levels. The first engine is the 2.2 Duratorq TDCi 130PS which is only available as a manual and with the XL 4x2 Ranger. The next engine up is the 2.2 Duratorq TDCi 160PS which is available as an automatic or manual engine. This engine is available across the XL, XLT and Limited trim levels. The top of the range engine is the 3.2 Duratorq TDCi with 200PS which is only available at the higher Limited and Wildtrak trim levels as a manual or automatic.
The most frugal engine across the body styles is the 2.2 Duratorq TDCi 160PS with Co2 emissions as low as 171g/km and 38.7mpg (combined) achievable. The maximum speed of the engines only varies slightly from 106mph to 109mph with the 0-62mph speed ranging from 10.6 seconds to 13.5 seconds.
The Ranger is designed to carry cargo, the amount of cargo it can safely carry will vary depending on many factors. Anything that increases the weight of the Ranger will decrease the safe payload. Any factory fitted options will add weight, as will increasing the number of people your Ranger can carry.
The table below gives guidance as to the payload the Ranger can carry across body styles and engines when supplied as standard.
|Maximum Payload (kg)|
|2.2 Duratorq TDCi 130PS XL||1006|
|2.2 Duratorq TDCi 160PS XL||1232|
|2.2 Duratorq TDCi 160PS XL||1194|
|2.2 Duratorq TDCi 160PS XLT||1180|
|2.2 Duratorq TDCi 160PS Limited||1129|
|2.2 Duratorq TDCi 160PS XL||1142|
|2.2 Duratorq TDCi 160PS XLT||1131|
|2.2 Duratorq TDCi 160PS Limited||1080|
|2.2 Duratorq TDCi 160PS Limited Auto||1061|
|3.2 Duratorq TDCi 200PS Limited||1032|
|3.2 Duratorq TDCi 200PS Limited Auto||1013|
|3.2 Duratorq TDCi 200PS Wildtrak||1003|
|3.2 Duratorq TDCi 200PS Wildtrak Auto||984|
Driver aids and technology
Inside the Ford Ranger it would be easy to forget you are in a commercial vehicle as you find everything you would expect from a car interior including;
- Adaptive cruise control - this feature lets you choose your speed and stick to it. If a vehicle ahead causes you to slow, this will be done automatically for you, and when safe the Ranger will return to its pre-selected speed.
- Forward collision alert - the Ranger will let you know if there is something ahead you are approaching too rapidly. If you do not respond after a visual and audible warning the brakes will be prepared by increasing sensitivity so when you brake, even if it is only lightly, a harder force will be applied.
- Lane keep alert - if you are drifting outside of your lane a visual and audible warning will give you a nudge to get back in line.
- Traffic sign recognition - signs are recognised and displayed on your instrument cluster so you never miss anything.
- Auto high beam - helps you avoid dazzling other drivers by temporarily dipping the headlights for you when traffic is approaching.
- Driver alert system - your driving will be monitored and if your driving behaviour could be due to fatigue the Ranger will urge you to take a break.
- Ford SYNC 3 - this system helps keep you connected while you are on the road. A colour touchscreen gives you access to AppLink, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto so you can integrate your smartphone. Voice commands can be used to send messages and make calls meaning your hands can stay on the wheel. Integrated satellite navigation provides the latest real time traffic information, for an accurate time of arrival and warning of traffic hotspots.
Ready to work
Even though the Ranger has car like levels of comfort, it is still tough enough for the most demanding work day.
If you need to move a heavy load, the Ranger can tow up to 3,500kg and has Trailer Sway Control so any wandering of the trailer behind will be recognised and speed is automatically reduced until you regain control.
If you need to work whatever the conditions the Ranger can help with Electronic Stability Control which will apply a braking pulse to individual wheels if any slip is sensed to keep you firmly on the road. The Ranger is also capable of wading through water up to depth of 800mm, so a little puddle won't get in your way!
Prices for the Ford Ranger begin at £22,134.
Which do you think is the best pick-up available now?
Leave a comment for your chance to win £20 of High Street Vouchers. Each month Natalie picks her favourite comment from the previous month - get involved for your chance to win...
The comments above do not necessarily reflect Rivervale's views unless clearly stated.