Honda´s Latest Safety Features
Honda have revealed the new safety technology they will be introducing in Japan by the end of the year in their luxury car Legend. It is thought to go beyond the range of driver assist features currently on the market and close the gap between driver assist and a fully autonomous vehicle, so here at Rivervale Leasing we thought we would take a look. Honda’s sensing technology aims to reduce road deaths and uses a radar fitted to the radiator grille and a camera mounted near the rear-view mirror to give the cars computer as much information as possible about the area around the car.
So what features will the new technology bring?
- Pedestrian Collision Mitigation Steering System – this system will detect the edge of the road and will be able to detect where pedestrians are. If the car predicts a collision may occur or the car may be about to stray off the road it can take over steering so avoiding hitting a pedestrian.
- Collision Mitigation Braking System – if the driver becomes too close to another object whether this is a car or person, the braking system will gently apply the brakes as a warning. If the driver takes no action the car will brake hard to avoid a collision.
- Adaptive Cruise Control – this system can detect the gap between itself and the car in front so can control acceleration and braking to keep you at a safe distance.
- Road Departure Mitigation System – with this system the camera will detect lane boundaries and if the driver is straying out of his lane the steering wheel with vibrate as a warning. If the driver is not keeping in lane and if a risk of leaving the road the car can gently steer you back or even bring the car to a safe stop.
- Lane Keeping Assist System – this features will be used mainly for motorway driving and will help keep the driver in the middle of their lane. The steering wheel will vibrate as a warning if the driver is creeping out of their lane.
- Traffic Sign Recognition- this feature will read road signs for you so there is no chance of you missing a thing! When the camera on the car has read the sign it will display them on the dashboard or even on the windscreen via heads up display…….So now there is no excuse for not knowing about any changes in the speed limit!
- False Start Prevention Function – this clever feature uses a radar to detect vehicles ahead that may be stopped or driving at low speed. It can then stop embarrassing mishaps caused when the driver accelerates a bit too much and so save you from a crash.
- Lead Car Departure Notification System – The radar at the front of the vehicle can also watch the car ahead and can give the driver visual and audio warnings to brake.
If safety is your main concern when searching for a new car – read our blog “The Safest Cars Around!”
The comments above do not necessarily reflect Rivervale's views unless clearly stated.
7 November 2014
Written by Rivervale