The Jaguar F-Pace - Jaguar's First SUV!
The F-Pace is the first ever SUV from Jaguar. Originally shown the C-X17 concept model in 2013 at the Frankfurt Motor Show the F-Pace was launched in 2016 and sold 80,000 models in it's first year. This impressive sales figure makes the F-Pace Jaguars fastest ever selling car.
The F-Pace is in direct competition with the likes of the Porsche Macan, Land Rover Evoque, BMW X3 and the Audi Q5. With what Jaguar describe as a ‘perfect balance of style, performance and practicality’ and with prices starting at £34,730 it will make an attractive option for buyers in the premium SUV market. Motoring experts have also given the F-Pace the stamp of approval by naming it 2017 World Car of the Year at the World Car Award in New York which includes 72 judges from 24 countries.
To introduce the F-Pace in 2015, Jaguar had stunt driver Terry Grant perform a 360 degree loop to show the agility, speed and performance of the vehicle, setting a new Guinness World Record!
Exterior Features of The Jaguar F-Pace
As well as the overall car of the year award the F-Pace also received the title of World Car Design of the Year 2017.
The body of the F-Pace is built using Jaguar's advanced aluminium architecture making a lightweight, yet stiff structure which has a positive impact on fuel economy without compromising safety.
Visually the F-Pace is inspired by the F-Type so has agile looks with sporting characteristics. Aerodynamic design has produced a drag coefficient of 0.34Cd which helps reduce C02 emissions and improve fuel efficiency. To the front are Jaguar's signature 'J' blade daytime running lights with the option to upgrade to adaptive LED headlights. To the rear are Jaguar's high intensity LED taillights. Even the alloy wheels offered are all aerodynamically efficient with a choice of sizes from 18"-22".
Interior Features of the F-Pace
On the inside the F-Pace has a class leading boot size with a capacity of 650 litres, along with a 40:20:40 split on the rear seats allowing a versatile loading space. The rear seats allow enough space for 3 adults to sit comfortably and recline so your passengers can find their perfect position.
Every Jaguar F-Pace comes with InControl which are a range of technologies that keep you connected to your car. As standard the F-Pace is supplied with TOUCH which features an 8" multi-media interface which allows control of DAB radio, navigation, calls and apps available when connected to a smartphone.
Upgrading to TOUCH PRO means a 10.2" touchscreen, 12.3 instrument panel display with virtual dials and full screen 3D map view. With TOUCH PRO the 10.2" touchscreen can be split into 2 so the driver and passenger can view different information. This way the driver can be checking directions while the passenger watches a DVD.
Technology and Driver Aids
- Activity Key - Jaguar provide a key which can be worn around the wrist and is waterproof. For those who are swimming, sailing or running it solves the problem of where to keep your key.
- Powered Gesture Tailgate - sensors under the rear bumper allow you to open the boot by waving your foot, ideal when you have your hands full.
- Lane Departure Warning - a visual alert and a gentle vibration of the steering wheel will alert the driver if they have unintentionally veered out of their lane.
- Driver Condition Monitor - any lapses in concentration that could be due to fatigue are detected and an audible alert and visual alert let the driver know it is time to take a break.
- Traffic Sign Recognition with Intelligent Speed Limiter - this technology can detect speed limits and display them to the driver as well as limit speed to make sure the F-Pace never breaks any speed limits.
- Blind Spot Monitor and Reverse Traffic Detection - these technologies make sure you always know what's around your vehicle, even when you don't have a clear view. The driver is alerted to objects in their blind spot and if an object is likely to cross your path when reversing the F-Pace will let you know.
- Adaptive Cruise Control with Park Assist - your speed is automatically adjusted to maintain a safe distance from the car in front, both reducing speed and increasing speed to the pre-set limit. The F-Pace can be brought to a complete stop in traffic and will move off again automatically when safe to do so.
- Park Assist - this technology takes all the stress out of parking by steering in and out of spaces for you while the driver only needs to control the speed. Other parking aids include a 360-degree surround camera or front and rear parking sensors.
- Autonomous Emergency Braking - if the F-Pace detects a possible forward collision an audible warning will be given followed by a visual warning. If there is no response from the driver the brakes will automatically be applied to reduce the severity of an impact.
Engine Choices for the F-Pace
5 out of the 7 engines for the F-Pace all come from Jaguar's new Ingenium range which use advanced technology and aluminium construction to ensure they deliver maximum power and fuel efficiency with minimum emissions. The choices are as follows:
- 2.0 litre 4 cylinder 163PS turbocharged diesel
- 2.0 litre 4 cylinder 180PS turbocharged diesel
- 2.0 litre 4 cylinder 240PS twin turbocharged diesel
- 2.0 litre 4 cylinder 250PS turbocharged petrol
- 2.0 litre 4 cylinder 300PS turbocharged petrol
The final 2 engines in the line up are performance version. The performance petrol engine is a 3.0 litre V6 380PS supercharged engine which is the fastest in the range with a 0-60mph time of only 5.1 seconds. The diesel performance engine is a 3.0 litre V6 300PS twin turbocharged diesel engine which is only marginally slower than the petrol version with a 0-60mph time of 5.8 seconds.
The most frugal of the engines is the 163PS diesel engine with fuel economy of up to 59.2mpg and the lowest C02 emissions of 126g/km.
Jaguar F-Pace Models
There are 4 models to choose from the entry level F-Pace Prestige, the luxurious F-Pace Portfolio, the extra sporty F-Pace R-Sport and finally the performance F-Pace S, the only model to include the performance 3.0 V6 petrol and diesel engines. Examples of features included at each level are seen in the table below.
Jaguar F-Pace Models
|F-Pace Prestige||F-Pace Portfolio in addition to Prestige||F-Pace R Sport in addition to Portfolio||F-Pace S in addition to R Sport|
|18" alloy wheels||19" alloy wheels||R-Sport front and rear bumpers||20" alloy wheels|
|Halogen headlights with daytime running lights||Panoramic glass roof||Metal treadplates with R sport branding||S front and rear bumpers|
|Grained leather seats||Xenon headlights with J blade daytime running lights||Bright sports pedals||Body coloured S door claddings with Satin Chrome finishers|
|8 way adjustable front seats||Perforated Windsor leather luxury seats||Body coloured door claddings with Satin Black finishers||Red brake calipers|
|Gloss black trim finish||Keyless entry||Adaptive dynamics|
|Chrome side window surround||Rear view camera||Perforated grained leather sports seats|
|Emergency brake assist||Meridian sound system|
|Autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian sensing|
|Cruise control with speed limiter|
|Lane departure warning|
|Hill start assist|
What do you think of the F-Pace?
The comments above do not necessarily reflect Rivervale's views unless clearly stated.
23 June 2015
Written by Natalie Faughy