Rivervale's Guide to the Updated Nissan Qashqai
The Qashqai has been a massive success story since Nissan made the bold move to expand from their usual hatchbacks and saloons back in 2006. Since then 2.3 million have been sold. It is widely credited for bringing crossovers into the mainstream, and is the only SUV to appear in the top 10 best-selling cars year after year.
As our nation's love of the SUV has grown and grown other manufacturers have got in on the action and launched their own models, creating a little competition for Nissan. In the last couple of years Seat has launched the Ateca, Toyota has launched the C-HR and even Jaguar has produced their own SUV. To make sure the Qashqai doesn’t get forgotten, Nissan has produced an update for 2017. Striking new looks and an abundance of technology should make sure the Qashqai stays in our top 10.
Our New Vehicle Director Simon took a look around the new Nissan Qashqai here at Rivervale House…
Exterior Features of the Nissan Qashqai
The front of the Qashqai has a far more striking look with a bolder V-motion front grille and new signature LED daytime running lights, and larger air intakes, creating a much more imposing look on the road. There are 3 new alloy designs available, as well as a new gloss silver finish for mirror caps and roof rails.
Interior Features of the Nissan Qashqai
There are some new seats available with certain trim levels, which are supposedly the most comfortable yet. The new seats are a monoform design combined with a quilted leather finish. The steering wheel has had a small makeover, now with a new sporty D shape.
The Qashqai still offers class leading storage space with 430 litres of boot space which increases to 1,598 litres with the rear seats folded down. However, none of that space can now be used for a couple of extra passengers. The Qashqai will no longer offer a +2 option. For families who need a few extra seats the option from Nissan is the X-Trail which has also just received an update.
Driver Aids and Technology
Nissan include a host of features collectively called Nissan Intelligent Mobility. There are more ways to keep you in lane, prevent collisions and alert you to obstacles than ever before including;
- Park Assist – your Qashqai will steer you into tight spaces taking the stress out of parking.
- Emergency Braking – at low speeds, the driver will be warned and then the brakes applied if there is a risk of a forward collision.
- Lane Departure Warning – if you are drifting out of your lane and have not indicated you are planning to switch lanes you will be alerted so you can get back on track.
- Intelligent Auto Headlights – headlights now turn on automatically for you in low light conditions and now include an adaptive front light system which can angle headlights around bends to increase visibility.
- Intelligent Around View Monitor – the Qashqai now includes 4 cameras to give the driver a panoramic view of the area surrounding the car.
- Traffic Sign Recognition – traffic signs will be recognised and displayed on the dashboard to make sure you haven’t missed any important information on your journey.
- Blind Spot Warning – this system takes the guesswork out of changing lanes, alerting you to any obstacle hiding in your blind spot.
- Moving Object Detection – this system works when the around view monitor is active and draws your attention to any moving objects around the vehicle.
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert – when reversing out of a space, any objects crossing your pathway will be spotted and you will be warned!
- Intelligent Trace Control – the brake pressure for each individual wheel can be adjusted to make sure you are on the optimal line as you follow the bend of the road.
- Intelligent Ride Control – this system makes your journey a little more comfortable by applying subtle braking when travelling over bumps in the road to prevent upper body movement for the driver and passengers.
- Intelligent Engine Brake – this system only applies for automatic versions of the Qashqai. The gear will be shifted down through a light bend and then shifted back up to accelerate your way out.
- Intelligent 4X4 – any wheel slip is detected and torque is distributed to counteract, 50% can be sent to the rear wheels.
- Stand Still Assist – the Qashqai can be held stationary without the driver needing to keep their foot on the brake or apply the parking brake.
Technology has been boosted in the cabin, with all new Qashqai’s getting a 5” TFT colour display to show driver information including tyre pressure, navigation, music playing, trip computer, fuel economy, caller ID if you are using Bluetooth and to provide control of all the driver aids.
NissanConnect Evo integrates your smartphone with the car to ensure you have access to your apps, playlists and can make and accept calls handsfree.
Changes have been made to improve aerodynamics and all engines are Euro 6 compliant with stop/start technology to keep emissions low and mpg high. There are 2 petrol and 2 diesel engines to choose from.
The dCi 110 is available as a manual only and is the most fuel efficient with up to 74.3mpg possible with Co2 emissions of only 99g/km. The other diesel option is the dCi 130 which is available as a manual, auto or manual 4X4. The DIG-T 163 is the most powerful engine on offer, but it also has the lowest mpg of 48.7 and the highest Co2 emissions of 134g/km. This engine is available as a manual only. The second petrol option is the DIG-T 115 which is available as a manual or auto with a slightly more efficient 50.4mpg possible and Co2 emissions of 129g/km.
The Nissan Qashqai features ECO mode for auto vehicles which ensures as much energy as possible is saved. SPORT mode is now also available which changes the feel of the steering for a firmer, sportier drive.
Not all the features described above will be found on every Qashqai, although the majority can be added as optional extras. The table below gives an example of which features will be included as standard at each trim level in the Qashqai range.
Nissan Qashqai Trim Levels
|Visia||Acenta in addition to Visia||N-Connecta in addition to Acenta||Tekna in addition to N-Connecta||Tekna+ in addition to Tekna|
|Stand still assist||Intelligent engine brake||High beam assist||Intelligent driver alert||Panoramic glass roof|
|Electric parking brake||17" Aero alloy wheels||Traffic sign recognition||Blind spot warning||Gloss silver roof rails|
|Intelligent trace control||Interior ambient lighting||Intelligent rear view mirror||Rear cross traffic alert||Gloss silver mirror caps|
|Intelligent ride control||Rear seat armrest with 2 cup holders||Intelligent emergency braking||Moving object detection||Black Nappa leather trim with 3D quilting|
|Tyre pressure monitoring system||Auto folding mirrors||Lane departure warning||Intelligent park assist||Electrically adjustable driver's seats with memory|
|DAB radio||Auto wipers||Front and rear parking sensors||19" diamond cut alloy wheels|
|Bluetooth||Intelligent auto headlights||18" two-tone alloy wheels||LED headlights with adaptive front lighting system|
|5" TFT screen||Automatic dual-zone climate control||Matte silver roof rails||LED signature daytime running lights with directional indicator|
|LED daytime running lights||Front fog lights||Monoform sports seats||Heated front seats|
|LED signature rear lights||NissanConnect Evo 7" touchscreen navigation and entertainment system||Heated windscreen|
|Cruise control and speed limiter||Rear privacy glass||Premium Bose audio system|
|Stop/start system||Sharkfin antenna|
|Electrically adjustable and heated door mirrors||Intelligent around view monitor|
|16" steel wheels||Start push button|
|Manual air conditioning|