Rivervale's Guide to the Renault Captur
The Renault Captur was the best-selling model in the compact SUV class across Europe last year and it has received an update for 2017 ...
Our Account Manager Rob took a closer look at the 2017 Renault Captur ...
Exterior Features and Dimensions of the Renault Captur
There has been an overall boost in quality during the 2017 revamp of the Renault aptur. On the outside, there are new colours available as well as two-tone colour packs allowing more personalisation than the previous Captur model. Cappuccino Brown, Amethyst and Desert Orange feature alongside the more traditional blue, black, white and red exterior colours. In total, there are now 36 different colour combinations to choose from.
The front and rear lights have had a makeover with a new signature 'C' shape visible and an upgrade to full LED light technology. A fixed glass roof is now optional for those who like maximum sunlight inside the cabin and the door mirrors will fold in automatically when you lock the car.
From the front, a new chrome grille trim can be seen as well as enlarged lower air intakes creating a more powerful look on the road.
Overall the dimensions have not changed a great deal, the total length of the Captur is 4122mm, height stands at 1566mm, width is 1778mm with a wheelbase of 2606mm.
Interior Features of the Renault Captur
Inside the quality boost is also evident with new soft touch materials used throughout which give a luxurious feel. The range of storage areas has been increased, likely to appeal to families who need lots of stowaways for drinks, colouring books and the all important bribery sweets! There are now storage compartments within a new central armrest, side pockets and on the back of the front seats.
The entire rear bench can be moved forwards and backwards allowing the choice between storage in the boot and legroom in the back. This gives the boot an impressive 455 litre capacity and when the seats are folded down this increases to 1235 litres. The boot also features a shelf, which when removed increases the depth of the boot to add even more storage space for larger items.
In terms of infotainment there is a 7" touchscreen with Renault's R-Link to control radio, sat nav in those models with it and Android Auto to link your smartphone and control all the apps you may want access to. Bluetooth allows the receiving and making of calls hands free. One thing that hasn't changed is the absence of Apple CarPlay which is still missing on the 2017 Captur.
Driver Aids and Safety
There is a lot of technology on offer for a compact car. All of them have been seen before in other Renault models, a nice touch is the automatic locking when you walk away, a blessing for all those who have hands full of shopping.
Some of the features listed below are only available as options or on high spec models.
- Hands Free Parking - this technology used to be found exclusively in premium and large vehicles but has now made its way into most new vehicles. While the driver controls the speed the Captur will control the steering to make sure you achieve a perfect parallel park every time.
- Rear View Camera and Sensors - having an audible warning when you are getting close to another object, or a camera to show your car's position in relation to other nearby objects can help with parking and when trying to wriggle out of tight spaces.
- Blind Spot Warning - this feature takes the guesswork out of changing lanes by warning you if there is a vehicle out of your line of sight.
- Intelligent Hands Free Card - some people love a card instead of a key some people hate it. Renault's intelligent card means the engine is started and stopped via a button and when you walk away from the vehicle it automatically locks for you.
- Hill Start Assist - this feature holds the Captur still when an a hill for a few seconds after the brake is released to give the driver time to find the biting point and move forward.
- Emergency Brake Assist - if you are breaking in an emergency situation, the Captur will enhance this braking action to reduce the chances of a collision.
- Electronic Stability programme - this aid will enhance stability if the driver loses grip on the road to provide support to the driver to regain control of the vehicle and continue their journey safely.
- Front Fog Lights with Cornering Function - as you drive around a bend in the Captur the fog light which corresponds to your direction of travel will light up to make the road around the bend more visible.
Renault Captur Specifications
Trim levels on the Captur go from the entry level Expression+ to the highest level Signature S Nav. Examples of the features found at each trim level can be seen in the table below;
|Expression +||Dynamique Nav (in addition to Expression+)||Dynamique S Nav (in addition to Dynamique Nav)||Signature X Nav (in addition to Dynamique S Nav)||Signature S Nav (in addition to Dynamique S Nav)|
|Manual air conditioning||Daytime running lights||Automatic climate control||Rear parking sensors||Front and rear parking sensors||Blind spot warning|
|16" adventure alloy wheels with black inserts||Stop and start technology||MediaNav multimedia system 7" touchscreen||Contrasting roof and door mirror colour||Grip Xtend traction control system including mud and snow tyres||BOSE premium sound system|
|LED front fog lights||Emergency brake assist||17" Explore alloy wheels with black inserts||Cornering function in fog lights||Renault R-Link multimedia system||Front, side and rear parking sensors|
|Cruise control with speed limiter||DAB radio with R&Go||Washable and removeable ivory upholstery||Leather steering wheel||Reverse parking camera||Hands free parking|
|Hands free keycard with push button start/stop function||Electric windows front and rear||Auto headlights and rain sensitive front wipers||Extra tinted rear windows and tailgate||17" Emotion alloy wheels with black inserts||Rear bumper chrome insert|
|Tinted windows||Heated and electrically adjustable door mirrors||Full LED front headlights||Heated front seats||Smoked chrome interior touch pack|
|Heated rear screen||Reversible boot floor||Geey front and rear skid plates||Aluminium pedal unit|
|Single body and roof colour||Leather steering wheel||Electrochrome rearview mirror|
|Tyre pressure monitor||Sunglasses storage|
Considering the building desire for hybrid and electric cars there are neither of these options available with the Captur. There are 2 petrol engines a TCe 90 and TCe 120, only the TCe 120 has an automatic version. The most fuel efficient here is the TCe90 which can achieve a combined mpg of 55.4, this engine also has the lower Co2 emissions of the two at 114g/km. However, the TCe 120 is the fastest of all the Captur engines with a 0-62 time of 9.9 seconds and a top speed of 114mph.
There are 2 diesel engines on offer. A dCi 90 which has the highest combined mpg of 78.5 and the lowest Co2 emissions of 95g/km. The second engine is the more powerful dCi 110, both diesel engines are only available as manuals.
Although there is no hybrid version, the Captur's engines are all stop/start, all Euro 6 compliant and have an eco mode which has been shown to reduce fuel consumption by up to 12%. The Captur will also analyse your driving and give you helpful advice as to how you could drive to reduce fuel consumption further.