The Rivervale Guide to the BMW 4 Series
The BMW 4 series offers sporty, sleek looks while still remaining practical enough for the demands of everyday life. Our Account Manager Paul, here at Rivervale Car Leasing took us for a short tour around the BMW 420d M Sport …
Which Engines are Available?
The 4 Series range includes a Coupe, Convertible or Gran Coupe. The most frugal of all are the 420d engines that can reach 70.6 mpg and have the lowest CO2 emissions of 106g/km.
If you are looking for the thrill of speedy drive the M Sport Coupe 435d Xdrive will be the 4 series for you with a 0-62 mph time of only 4.2 seconds and a top speed of 155mph. Insurance groups range anywhere from 23E - 42E.
No matter which engine you pick all are Euro 6 compliant and all models abide by BMW EfficientDynamics to reduce fuel consumption while maximising driving pleasure. Each BMW is as aerodynamic as possible to reduce air resistance and so fuel use by using features such as a flat undercarriage cover and Integrated Aero Curtain. The driving mode Eco-Pro is available which will automatically adjust heating and air conditioning and engine performance to reduce fuel consumption by up to 20%.
Your BMW has a gear shift indicator which will let you know the most efficient gear to be in based on road conditions and engine speed helping reduce fuel usage by up to 4%. Even the power steering has been made energy efficient by making it electric so the motor is only powered up when needed. Brake Energy Regeneration Technology captures kinetic energy from braking and turns it into electricity to charge the cars battery. Additionally, engines are all stop/start to help save a few more precious drops of fuel!
Which Safety Features and Driver Aids will I Find with the BMW 4 Series?
- The 4 Series features BMW Connected, which acts as a kind of personal assistance. Information such as departure times and destinations can be sent to the car. The car can then send you a time to leave notification to your iPhone or Apple Watch! Also in the BMW Connected App you can lock or unlock the car or programme air conditioning.
- There are several parking aids to choose from including a rear view camera, all around
view camera, park distance control or park assist for your BMW to take over steering to park the vehicle.
- Active Cruise Control with stop and go function uses cameras and sensors to keep you the right distance from the car in front. Speed can be reduced to a standstill and then increased to the set range when road conditions allow.
- Lane Assist makes sure you don't drift out of your lane and will steer you in the right direction should this occur.
- Active Protection is the name given to a range of measures that are designed to protect such as tightening seat belts, putting seats in the upright position, closing windows and the sunroof and can also bring the vehicle to a standstill in the event of an accident.
- Lane change warning goes beyond blind spot monitoring by looking for vehicles in the blind spot and the next lane, if danger is detected a flashing triangular light will appear on side mirrors and the steering wheel will vibrate.
- Traffic jam assist will take over for you in queueing traffic up to 37 mph keeping the vehicle glide along with others on the road. The BMW will steer to keep the car in lane providing the driver keeps one hand on the steering wheel.
- Head-up Display makes sure you can keep your eyes on the road by projected information such as current speed, navigation notifications and entertainment information on the windscreen in the driver's line of vision.
Which Trim Levels Are Available with the BMW 4 Series?
There are 4 trim levels available the entry level SE, Sport, Luxury and most indulgent of all the M Sport level. Examples of the features you will find at each level are shown in the table below:
BMW 4 Series Trim Levels
|SE||Sport, in addition to SE||Luxury, in addition to or in place of Sport||M Sport, in addition to or in place of Sport|
|Xenon headlights||Front sports seats||Centre console panel highlight in chrome|
|Dynamic brake lights||Ambient lighting||Dakota leather upholstery||Headlining in Anthracite|
|Front fog lights||Black high gloss interior trim with Coral Red finisher||Media package - BMW professional||Interior trim in aluminium hexagon with estoril blue finisher|
|BMW professional radio||Sport instrument cluster with red highlight and chrono scale||18" alloys wheels||Media package - BMW professional|
|DAB tuner||18" alloy wheels||M gear selector lever in Nappa leather|
|Drive performance control including ECO PRO, sport and comfort driving modes||speedometer and rev counter with Red Chrono scales||Front sports seats||M sport instrument cluster|
|Auto stop/start||BMW Connected Drive||M Sport multi-function steering wheel with 3 spokes|
|BMW navigation system||Tyre pressure monitor||Front sports seats|
|Multifunction steering wheel||LED headlight, fog lights and tail lights||18" alloy wheels|
|Auto dimming rear view mirror||Park distance control||LED headlights, tail lights and fog lights|
|Bluetooth hands free facility||M aerodynamic body styling|
|Heated front seats||BMW Connected Drive|
|BMW emergency call||Tyre pressure monitor|
|17" alloy wheels||Park distance control|
Prices for the BMW 4 Series start at £32,580
Which BMW 4 Series would you choose?
The comments above do not necessarily reflect Rivervale's views unless clearly stated.
19 July 2017
Written by Natalie Faughy