Mercedes-Benz First Pick-Up - The Mercedes-Benz X Class
The hotly anticipated X Class has arrived! The very first pick-up from Mercedes-Benz and very first truly premium pick-up on our roads...
The X Class will be built on the same platform as the already successful Nissan Navara due to a deal between Mercedes-Benz and the Renault-Nissan Alliance. It will have independent rear suspension, coil springs and dampers to ensure despite its commercial uses the X Class still handles and provides the ride comfort of any other Mercedes.
The X Class will be unmistakeably Mercedes on the outside with sleek lines and chrome trims and on the inside where the same infotainment system, dials, screens and touches such as the air vents, already in the SUV range. X Class owners will also be able to make use of the Mercedes Me app already available with other models. This app allows you to track your moving X Class, to locate where you have parked, call the emergency services in the event of an accident, and will also provide maintenance and servicing information.
Each will be a double cab pick-up with 200mm ground clearance as standard which can be increased to 220mm. The cab area will be as comfortable as any other Mercedes with lumbar supportive seats available in Artico leather and technology such as Bluetooth and DAB radio. To ensure comfort, sound insulation has been enhanced to make the X Class the quietest pick-up on the road.
"With the Mercedes-Benz pick-up we will close one of the last gaps in our portfolio" - Dr Diester Zetsche, Mercedes-Benz Chairman
Payload of the X Class
The X Class will be capable of carrying just over 1 tonne and will have a towing capacity of 3.5 tonnes. there are several flatbed options to make the space work for you;
- Hardcover - finished in the same colour as the bodywork, the hard cover will provide protection against weather and against theft. The cover uses a separate key to lock and unlock and illuminated with an automatic LED light.
- Rollcover - made from a high quality aluminium, the rollcover can be opened and closed in increments depending on your needs.
- Hardtop - adding a hardtop creates the maximum loading area and comes complete with a tinted window at the rear.
- Cargo area separator system - to organise cargo this system can divide the truck bed into two to limit rolling for loads up to 100kg.
The loading bed has a total length of 1,587mm. Between the wheel arches the width reaches 1,215mm which is wide enough to load a Euro pallet. Width away from the wheel arch reaches 1,560mm. The tailgate has 180 degree opening, so will fold down completely allowing easier access to the load area.
X Class Trim Levels
There are three trim levels to choose from. The entry level PURE provides much more as standard than found on any other competitor model including reversing camera and Mercedes infotainment system with a 7" high definition screen. PROGRESSIVE provides the next level of quality including additional styling features such as 17" alloy wheels as well as an anchoring system in the load area. The top of the range is POWER, the most luxurious X Class with features such as lumbar support on the front seats, keyless go and THERMOTRONIC automatic climate control.
Examples of features found at each trim level can be seen below;
|Infotainment system with 7" screen and Bluetooth||*||*||*|
|DAB Digital Radio||*||*||*|
|Chrome door handles||*||*|
|LED performance headlights with cleaning system||*|
|LED load area lighting||*||*||*|
|Load securing rail system||*||*|
|Heated exterior mirrors||*||*|
|Electrically folding exterior mirrors||*|
|Rear towing hook||*||*||*|
|Air conditioning, semi automatic||*||*|
|THERMOTRONIC automatic climate control||*|
|Active brake assist||*||*||*|
|Lane keep assist||*||*||*|
|Traffic sign assist||*||*||*|
|Hill start assist||*||*||*|
|Automatic windscreen wipers||*||*|
X Class Engine Choices
Initially, there are two choices of engine;
- X220d 4MATIC 163hp - available on PURE and PROGRESSIVE trim levels this engine uses a 6 speed manual gearbox. 37.2mpg (combined) can be achieved with 200g/km of Co2 produced.
- X250d 4MATIC is available for all trim levels and uses a 7 speed automatic gearbox. 35.8mpg (combined) can be achieved with 207g/km of Co2 produced.
Every X Class will have 3 driving modes; rear wheel drive, 4MATIC and 4MATIC low range so you can pick the best mode for your driving conditions.
Mercedes-Benz has announced a third engine will join the line up in mid 2018. The X350d will be a v6 engine capable of producing 258hp becoming the most powerful engine available in the X Class range.
X Class Safety features
The X Class has already been awarded a 5* NCAP safety rating and comes with a high level of safety features as standard including;
- Adaptive Brake Lights - these lights will flash to warn other drivers if there is an emergency braking situation reducing the risk of a rear end collision. The Electronic Stability Programme helps further by taking into account the load of the vehicle and applying braking force to individual wheels as well as adjusting the engine torque to ensure to reduce the risk of skidding.
- Trailer Stability Assist - this feature will recognise any swaying when towing a trailer and can apply a different braking force to each wheel to reduce this movement.
- Lane Keep Assist - by using a camera on the inside of the windscreen the road markings can be recognised and if any drifting out of lane is detected the steering wheel will vibrate and visual warnings will appear to alert the driver.
- Traffic Sign Assist - cameras will recognise traffic sign information and display it on the instrument cluster multifunction display and on the media display when in navigation mode along with the current speed limit.
- Active Brake Assist - in an emergency braking situation this feature reduces the risk of collision by supporting the braking of the driver to make the overall stopping distance as short as possible.
What do you think of the Mercedes-Benz X Class?
Leave a comment for your chance to win £20 of High Street Vouchers. Each month Natalie picks her favourite comment from the previous month - get involved for your chance to win...
The comments above do not necessarily reflect Rivervale's views unless clearly stated.